Sunday, August 19, 2012

Turning Ordinary Flats into Magical Ruby Slippers

What little girl hasn't seen "The Wizard of Oz" and dreamed of wearing her own pair of beautiful, glittering, ruby slippers? I know I have. I never had any when I was little, so for my last birthday I decided to make myself a pair!

A free pattern for "glitter pumps" from Joann Fabrics caught my eye but I decided to make them flats instead. I don't wear heels very often and I didn't think I would get as much use out of them as I would if they were flats.


I bought a pair of black ballet flats from H&M, along with some red glitter and a couple bottles of glitter adhesive.


Following the pattern, I worked in small sections of the shoe, first using a makeup sponge to apply the glue, then covering the glued area with glitter and shaking the excess glitter onto a piece of paper and back into the glitter bottle to reuse. Then I repeated this process on the next section.


Once the shoes were covered in glitter, I then applied another coat of glue to keep the glitter from coming off later.

In the end, they looked like this! A word of caution: no matter how careful you are it is possible that you will still be finding glitter on your floor for quite some time after doing this project. Hopefully, if you are making glitter-covered shoes, you like glitter enough that this will not be a problem.

One added tip, if you don't want to get glitter in the inside of your shoe, cut a piece of paper (any kind) and insert it into the shoe before you start.  I didn't do this, but wish I had!  

I hope you like my ruby slippers and that this post will help you if you ever decide to make your own!


-Baby Cat



No comments:

Post a Comment