Monday, August 6, 2012

New Hangers From Old!

A while back (several years ago) a good friend of mine gave me an old crocheted hanger and a pattern that her mother had written out for her.  She was hoping that I would take it and make a bunch of new ones.  Well, I accidentally hid it from myself, and I couldn't find the pattern anymore, so I went online to find a new one. 

When I tried making the new pattern for my hanger it just wouldn't come out right, so I ended up writing a new pattern.  It's was so simple and the hangers came out looking great!   

First you need some wooden hangers like the one in this photo.  Then you need a size G crochet hook.  The last thing you need is some Caron Simply Soft yarn in the color of your choice.  You will also need some scissors and a yarn needle.


Crocheted Hanger Pattern
Front
Using a size G, or 4.25mm crochet hook ch 90.
Row 1:  make 5dc in 4th ch from hook.  *Skip 3 ch, sc in next ch, ship 3 ch, 6 dc in next ch; Repeat from * ending with sc in last ch.  (ten half shells have been made)
 Row 2:  Turn.  *make 6dc in bottom of sc.  Repeat from * to end of row.  Fasten off.  (ten full shells have been made.  

Back
Repeat instructions for front, but DO NOT FASTEN OFF.

Now match front and back together, sc together across the first 5 shells.  Insert the hanger and continue to sc across the rest of the shells.

Take your yarn needle and hide all the loose ends. 

You can make a chain of the desired length to create a ribbon for the base of the hanger neck.  Or you can use a piece of pretty color coordinated ribbon to finish it off. 


This is what my hangers looked like when they were finished.  I still haven't decided whether or not to embellish them with ribbon or not, but I really like the way they came out.  I love the bright colors.  Now, I just have to find a reliable source for wooden hangers.  I stole these from my husband's closet! He, He!

Mommy Cat

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your endevor with your mom. Very nice website and loving your creations.

    ReplyDelete